Monday, October 14, 2013

The High Road

We go along tumbled and trapped
in our four-seater
swatting at the hornet that flew in.
His life is now on standby
until the next stop.
Silence fills the space with chilly
air-conditioned breaths.
I reach for my sweater slowly
killing time.

I don’t remember the roads we took
that lead us here.
They were uneventfully
paved and flat
when we started west,
gradually leading us into unknown territory.
A dense fog in Iowa
stranded me at the wheel
before the encroaching blinding mist 
as the console separated us.
I was alone as you slept.

The Rockies gave way to switchbacks
on roads washed out
by flash floods.
Looking down a cliff,
which once supported the road,
I let go of half
of what had consumed my fragile vase
that nearly cracked on a few sharp turns.
The other half
will remain dormant.

We slowed to a near stop
winding around another rock slide
when I opened my window
and let the hornet out
into the crisp pine air
of the foothills.
Continuing on the high road,
our chosen detour,
a pile of lost pages
from old atlases were left
strewn about
in the back seat.


© 2013 d.c.p.

No comments:

Post a Comment